This post arises out of a study that I am doing, and is tied to one of John Locke’s books, which is The Reasonableness of Christianity. In this book much argument is made of what one must know to be saved or born-again, and become a Christian. At the time I read the book (which was quite some years ago), I had not really considered what one MUST know to be saved. However, as time has passed and I have studied the Scripture, there are some things that everyone MUST know before one can have even the hope of salvation. The following questions are not concerned with the attributes one must have to be saved, (i.e. faith, and repentance), rather they are focused on KNOWLEDGE, or what one must KNOW with surety to be saved.
With the foregoing in mind, here are the questions:
- Who is Christ?
- Who is God?
- Who is man? (Who am I?)
- What is righteousness, and why am I not righteous?
- Why is God righteous? (What does mean to be righteous?)
- What is sin, and why am I a sinner?
- What can I do about my sin?
- What has (will) the LORD done (do) about my sin?
- What does it mean when the Scripture says I must “believe?”
- How can I know for certain that all the Scripture tells me is true?
- What am I really believing or trusting?
The questions leave considerable room for exploration of the Scripture and explanation of the answers. However, they are well worth answering, and by the time you are done, you will know all that is NECESSARY to know to be born again in Christ Jesus and have eternal life.
Now if you wish to argue about the questions, please take the time to answer them first BEFORE raising objection. Also, please use the King James Version of the Bible to do your study. Otherwise, you will get some very skewed and incomplete answers.
As far HOW the questions are to be answered, here is a hint:
When we ask “Who is God?” we do not speak of defining His ability, but rather examining His CHARACTER and NATURE.
May you find it profitable.